The Salim El-Lozi Lecture Series
Journalism and the War on Truth
On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, Georgetown’s undergraduate journalism department hosted “Journalism and the War on Truth.” The panel featured:
- Jim Acosta, CNN chief White House correspondent
- Lulu Garcia-Navarro, host of NPR’s “Weekend Edition Sunday”
- Margaret Sullivan, Washington Post columnist
- Doyle McManus (moderator), Los Angeles Times columnist and Georgetown Journalism Program director
This was the fifth annual event of The Salim El-Lozi Lecture Series. The lecture series is an annual event with a mission of discussing issues related to press freedom.
Women in the Trenches: Stories of War Reporting
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 Georgetown University’s undergraduate journalism department hosted “Women in the Trenches: Stories of Female War Correspondents.” This event brought together three highly accomplished journalists with years of experiencing reporting from some of the most dangerous areas of the world, including Iraq, West Africa and the cartel-infested jungles of South America. These women discussed the unique challenges and dangers facing female correspondents operating in conflict zones.
The panel featured:
- Cami McCormick, CBS News correspondent
- Jessica Donati, International Terrorism and Extremist Movements reporter at The Wall Street Journal
- Monica Villamizar, Freelance correspondent
- Haley Muse (Moderator), CNN video producer
This was the fourth annual event of The Salim El-Lozi Lecture Series. The lecture series is an annual event with a mission of discussing issues related to press freedom.
Muckraking in an Era of Liars, Trolls and Swamp Things
Georgetown University’s undergraduate journalism program hosted a panel discussion focusing on issues of press freedom in the Trump era on Wednesday, March 22, 2017. The event, entitled “Muckraking in an Era of Liars, Trolls and Swamp Things,” looked at the unique challenges today’s Washington presents to journalistic objectivity and how to cover a presidency that paints the media as an enemy. The event’s mission is to discuss issues related to press freedom.
The panel featured:
- John Kirby (Moderator), Former spokesperson for the U.S. State Department
- Yamiche Alcindor, National reporter for the New York Times
- Lewis Wallace, Writer, editor and radio producer
- Justin Green, News editor for Axios
- Sarah Harvard, Staff writer for Mic.com